Santa María Volcano is a large active volcano in the western highlands of Guatemala, in the Quetzaltenango (Xela). Santa María Volcano is part of the Sierra Madre range of volcanoes, which extends along the western edge of Guatemala, separated from the Pacific Ocean by a broad plain. The volcanoes are formed by the subduction of the Cocos Plate under the Caribbean Plate, which led to the formation of the Central America Volcanic Arc. It is very recommended adventure to hike on the top and observe the sunset and the sunrise. Sleeping overnight on the base camp of the volcano (on the top) will be an unique experience in your life. Its highest summit is 3.772 meters above sea level (12.380 ft). The tour start from Qutezaltenango (xela). Your guide goes to pick you up at your hotel.
Itinerary Day 1.
- 7:30am transfer from Xela to the village near of the volcano.
- 08:00 arrival at the village (Llanos del Pinal)
- 08:30 Begins the hike for about 5hrs. (aprox)
- 3:00pm arrival time at the base camp Time to see sunset
- 5:00am time to see sunrise
- 06:30 am return to the base camp for breakfast.
- 8:00am Descend to the village (Llanos del Pinal)
- 11:30am arrival time at the village
- Trasfer to Antigua 12:00pm arrival time to Xela
|Included:||Pick up/drop off in your hotel, transport for transfer, equipment (tent, sleeping bag and mattres), 3 meals, hot beverage,entrance fee and a tour guide|
|Does not include:||Personal kit and (tips Optional)|
|Departure Time/ Place:||7:00 AM/ Antigua Guatemala|
|Length:||4 or 5 hours hike up/ 3 to 4 hours to coming down|
|What to bring?||Backpack 60 lts, water, sunscreen, warm clothing, rain jacket, hiking shoes, extra food or snacks and flash light|